The Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) Nordin Hajji has found no one culpable following an inquiry into the Kakamega Primary School stampede that left 15 pupils dead and scores injured.
Following a rigorous investigation, DPP Hajji says that the inquiry did not establish a clear criminal act and no particular individual had been mentioned as a perpetrator.
“I find that there is no clear criminal act that has been committed that is evident. No one person or persons have been mentioned in the incident that saw children lose their lives,” read a report from the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution (ODPP).
The February, 3 incidents happened at around 5 pm when the pupils were heading home after ending their classes that Monday. Some of the pupils claimed that a section of their male colleagues had blocked the stairways causing the stampede.
However, the DPP’s report dismissed these claims saying that none of the 43 pupils and 16 teachers who were interviewed by his team could identify the said boys.
“During or before the stampede unidentified students (boys) whose numbers vary from between two to four were seen blocking the stairway. None of the witnesses identified these boys either by name, physical description or which classroom they belong to,” said Hajji.
Guided by Section 386 of the Criminal Procedure Code, the DPP has therefore directed that the mater b placed before the magistrate for formal closure.
However, a section of the parents has vowed not to let the mater die, threatening to sue the school as well as the Ministry of Education to find justice.